Dr. Maria Grazia Biferi with Team and Hope Sculpture
Descriptions of the Selected Commissions
The Pinnacle Award — The Pinnacle Society was established in 2000 to recognize those dedicated alumni and friends whose cumulative lifetime giving to the Terry College of Business at The University of Georgia, totals $1 million or more. Barbara Mann designed and fabricated the twelve-inch tall sterling silver column which represents the Ionic order columns at the entrance of the business school. The surface of the column is etched with images and words related to the school and the business world. sterling silver, granite, brass, 4” x 4” x 12”
The Delta Prize for Global Understanding — The Delta Prize was established by Delta Airlines and The University of Georgia. It recognizes individuals or groups whose initiatives have helped promote world peace as well as globally significant efforts that provide opportunities for greater understanding among nations and cultures. The Prize includes a $10,000 cash grant and an original work of art designed and created by Barbara Mann and UGA Professor Emeritus Gary Noffke. As of 2015, recipients include: President and Mrs. Jimmy Carter and The Carter Center, Archbishop Desmond M. Tutu, President Mikhail Gorbachev, Mrs. Sadako Ogata, President Vaclav Havel, Ambassador Gertrude Ibengwe Mongella, Ted Turner, Nelson Mandela , President Martti Ahtisaari, Dr. Mohamed ElBaradei, and The Honorable Lt. General Roméo A. Dallaire. The bronze portion was lost-wax-cast at Inferno Art Foundry, Inc., in Union City, Georgia; Barbara lost-wax-cast the silver medallion. sterling silver, bronze, titanium, 5” x 5” x 1” http://deltaprize.uga.edu/
Mobius Sculpture — The Manufacturer of the Year is awarded to three Georgia businesses each year for demonstrating outstanding corporate responsibility, economic impact on Georgia and workforce excellence. Designed and fabricated by Barbara Mann, the sculpture is a sterling silver Mobius strip (a continuous one-sided surface that can be formed from a rectangular strip by rotating one end 180 degrees and joining it to the other end), etched with images of various manufacturing processes and mounted on a carved Georgia marble base. sterling silver, marble, brass www.georgiamaw.org
Hope Sculpture — Prize4Life is a non-profit organization (www.prize4life.org) dedicated to the discovery of treatments and a cure for ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease. A $1 million ALS Biomarker Prize was awarded in 2011 to Dr. Seward Rutkove for his development of a technology to accurately and inexpensively measure the progression of ALS in patients.
In 2017, the French researchers, Dr. Martine Barkats and Dr. Maria-Grazia Biferi, of the Institute of Myology U974 INSERM UMPC in Paris, are the recients. They have developed a gene therapy approach targeted at one of the most common known causes of inherited ALS.
Barbara Mann designed and created the presentation award which represents, in sterling silver, a healthy muscle bundle, set with red rubies representing healthy nerves. A bird perches on the top of the sculpture, with the words of Emily Dickinson’s poem, “Hope,” engraved (by Mike Annis of Classic Hand Engravings) along the sides of the muscle bundle.
Summer Olympics 1996 Bollard – This art bollard was commissioned by the Atlanta Committee for the Olympic Games. It presents to the viewers a close-up look at a Georgia pine tree and its community of creatures. The “tree trunk” was made of 30-gauge sheets of copper that were chased and repousséd, then nailed onto a supporting cedar log. The “tree trunk” is 36 inches in height, and 14 inches in diameter. The top surface is cut at an angle, in order to show the growth rings. All surfaces are richly textured with pine bark and representations of the many creatures that live on trees in the forest – beetles, moths, flies, spiders, caterpillars, butterflies, birds, lizards, tree-frogs, squirrels, mice and vines. In order to translate the softer copper-on-wood, the final urban bollard was lost-wax-cast in more durable bronze at Inferno Art Foundry, Inc., in Union City, Georgia. copper, brass, steel, cedar wood 36″ x 14” diam.
Office Suite Doors, Wittner Centre, St. Petersburg, Florida – These, and two elevator doors, were commissioned by the architect for a suite of offices. The brass panels were etched by Barbara Mann. They depict historic maps of the Tampa Bay region and an array of subtropical plants that are native to the area.
The University of Georgia President’s Medal — The obverse includes the name, The President’s Medal; the Latin inscription, Universitatis Georgiæ as it appeared on the diplomas during the early years of the university; the Arch as the symbol of the University and the State of Georgia; and the year 1785 when the Charter of The University of Georgia as the first state-chartered university was approved. The two rosette-shaped seals, one on each end of Universitatis Georgiæ, represent the seals that were adhered to the early sheepskin diplomas. The seals were hand-cut, varied in size and color over the years, and were adhered to the diplomas. The raised semi-circular arc in the lower half of the medal is engraved with the recipient’s name and the year awarded. In the periphery of the reverse of the medallion are included The University of Georgia and Founders Day with two images of a Cherokee rose blossom in between. The Cherokee rose was adopted as the state flower in 1916. In the center of the medal are depictions of the Old College Building and the bronze statue of Abraham Baldwin, the first president of the University. Baldwin’s signature to the right of the sculpture is from the 1785 Charter. The lettering styles for the medal allude to the 1801 marble cornerstone of Old College, the first building at the University. bronze, 2.5″ diam.
John D. Kehoe Scholarship Medal — This award is given each year to the recipient of the John D. Kehoe Scholarship of The University of Georgia Studies Abroad Program in Cortona, Italy. The medal was designed, fabricated and lost-wax-cast by Barbara Mann. The obverse side incorporates images from Cortona: John Kehoes’s marble sculpture, “Dove of Peace,” in the city park; the Etruscan lamp with the sixteen burners which is in the Museum of the Etruscan Academy in Cortona. The reverse side abstracts the halo from Fra Angelico’s 1433 “Annunciation of Cortona” in the Museo Diocesano. sterling silver
Jack Davis Distinguished Visiting Artist Lecture Award Shoe — This sculpted shoe, by Professor Alex Murawski, is given to each year’s guest illustrator at the University of Georgia Lamar Dodd School of Art. To commemorate the phenomenal career of UGA alumnus, Jack Davis, this bronze-cast piece resembles the iconic shoes of many of Jack’s characters. Attached to the bottom of each year’s shoe is a replica of the business card of each artist. The shoe was lost-wax-cast in bronze at Inferno Art Foundry, Inc., in Union City, Georgia. The cards are etched by Barbara Mann. sterling silver, 2″ x 3.5″